Cinekid Directors LAB is a vital new coaching programme (midweek) for directors with a dynamic children's film project in advanced development.
During Cinekid Directors LAB, an international group of acclaimed directors will focus on the final steps you need to take prior to pre-production, coupled with the special and specific skills required for working with children. Above all the program offers hands-on tailor-made coaching. This LAB is intended primarily for projects developed within Cinekid Script LAB, the highly successful writers’ training programme initiated by Cinekid in 2014.
Points of focus are:
- Preparing directors for the shooting script.
- Defining and underlining the individual director’s voice and style.
- Discovering the maximum potential of a scene.
- Directing actors - how to shift the focus to directing the character (not the actor) while guiding the actor through the very specific world of the film.
- Casting and directing child actors - how to establish a trusting relationship with the kid(s), and how to immerse yourself into the world of children, encouraging and guiding each child to develop their character through total engagement with their imagination.
Who Can Apply?
Preferably directors who are attached to a project developed within one of the previous editions of Cinekid Script LAB and have a producer attached. Producers apply with a project in development, feature-length film heading towards production.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit the following materials for consideration
- A complete or steady draft of the feature-length screenplay.
- A logline and synopsis.
- A motivational letter addressing your interest in the programme and what you hope to gain by participating in Cinekid Directors LAB.
- An artistic statement describing your vision for the film.
- Project status and history.
- A link to previously directed work.
The first edition of Cinekid Directors LAB 2021 took place from 12 - 15 April.
More information, the regulations and the entry form for the Directors LAB 2022 will be announced later this year. The deadline for applications will be 14 November 2021.
For questions, kindly contact [email protected]
Previously selected projects for Cinekid Directors LAB can be found below.
Participants Cinekid Directors LAB 2021
Bille and Zottel
Director: Eileen Byrne
Countries of production: Germany, Luxembourg
Production company: Paul Thiltges Distribution
Director: Guro Ekornholmen
Countries of production: Norway
Nominated by: Norwegian Film Institute
Director: Camiel Schouwenaar
Countries of production: Netherlands
Production company: Rinkel Film
Nominated by: Netherlands Film Fund
Director: Domien Huyghe
Countries of production: Belgium
Production company: A Private View
Vera and the Third Stone
Director: Bragi Thor Hinriksson
Countries of production: Iceland
Nominated by: Icelandic Film Centre